Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

I ♥ New York--New York Fashion Week

picture made by: whowhatwear

So, both whowhatwear and allwomenstalk seem to agree that a metallic millennium/space odyssey is going to be a popular trend for the upcoming season. Lucky for me, I have just the right dress for this widely anticipated trend!


Can you guess what fashion event is going to be just around the corner? That's right! The Mercedes-Benz New York Fashion Week, one of the most iconic fashion event celebrated bi-annually. Its audience, only everyone in the entire fashion world! Part of this week is the very Fashion's Night Out, where retailers keep their stores open after hours for the enjoyment of shoppers. If you follow me on Pinterest, you know I entered an American Eagle contest for FNO. Unfortunately, I did not win. But hey! A girl can dream right, at least I tried. Anywho, like in my "what to wear to weddings," I attended Chriselle's virtual wedding and posted what I would wear, who's to say I can't pretend to think about what I could wear to New York Fashion Week? Inspired by the metallic millennium and space odssey trend, this is what I would wear to the upcoming fashion week.




Photos taken by the amazing Phoebe Pan.

I got this dress while I was looking for a prom dress at the Jessica McClintock outlet in this town really close to my house. When I came across this dress, I loved the shininess, and it's very eye-catching! Plus, the neckline is very unique. It was only $16!!! I figured, why not!? I can just wear it for graduation, and I did :) It's such a shame that the Jessica McClintock outlet in Ontario closed, lucky for those in SF, they get to get a great deal and get to look absolutely fab!

So why NYFW you ask? I love New York. Like I mentioned in my About Me Page, I've already achieved one of my life long dream of being a Trojan. Now, I'm working on my next goal, working in the Big Apple.


Look at this skyline, who could not fall in love with this city? I grew up in a very metropolitan Shanghai, and when I set foot in the work force, I want to be in a fast-paced city where I will be constantly challenge myself!

Before I go into fashion, I've got to talk about the food! (For some reason, this part was deleted, so here's me adding it in!) I have a couple of friends who go to school in New York. And one thing they would constantly rave to me about is the street food. One thing I'm dying to try is Chicken and Rice! Want to know a secret? I'm actually subscribed to Groupons New York, so I can get the emails and live vicariously through the pictures :p


Doesn't that look delicious? The quality isn't the best, but the cell phone shot really does bring me closer!

Back to talking about fashion. Other than the metropolitan, urban feel, another reason I want to work in New York is because it is THE fashion capital. I aspire to make a great contribution to the fashion industry, and no city but New York can help me achieve this dream. The trendiness of this city can be manifested in the fact that it hosts some of the most fashionable TV shows and Movies--from the classics like An Affair to Remember or Breakfast and Tiffany's to the modern day productions like Confessions of a Shopoholic, Sex and the City, and Gossip Girl! These are all my favorite shows/movies, no matter how many times I watch the movies/episodes, I just can't get enough! In California, we have 90210, but when the costume design is to be compared to that of Gossip Girl, as much as I would love to channel my inner-californian bias, it just can not on reach the same level of fabulousness or ellegance that is the style of Gossip Girl! It must have something to do with the abundance of art schools in New York, like Parsons or SVA!

And Fashion Week holds the epitome of importance for the fashion industry, and as it sets in the fashion capital or the world, being able to attend and observe just underneath the runway could be heart-attack inducing for the fashion-fanatics! But in all seriousness, it's a big deal because it's like the real-time equivalent of the September Issue, but on steroids. Designers can utilize this opportunity to showcase their brain-children for the upcoming seasons. As for those who would want to break into the world of fashion, like the contestants of Project Runway, it would be a great opportunity to display their amazing talents. (On a side note, Have you been following season 10? Who's your favorite? I love Fabio. I really liked his recent creation of the asymmetrical LBD on episode 7. Hope he makes it to fashion week! And Tim Gunn is awesome :)) Lastly, Fashion's Night Out is a part of fashion week. Like I mentioned earlier, people can attend FNO, and be a part of this wondrous celebration.

Can't wait to see what New York will have in store for us for fashion week! #6moredays #excited

XOXO,

Joanne

8 comments:

  1. Joanne you are so cute! Amazing dress too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dress! Love how the top is racer back inspired :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an gorgeous dress! It fits you perfectly and I love that it's a shimmering creme color instead of complete white. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Aumanie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you :)
    Yea it definitely is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dress on you and you have such gorgeous pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete