Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Coco Chanel: A True Inspiration

co co chanel movie poster

When it comes to girls picking their most inspirational designer, who wouldn't say Chanel?

Over the weekend, I was in the mood for some movies, and for some reason, I ended up watching Lifetime's version of "Co Co Chanel," which was released back in 2008. I'm so glad that I did! I actually learned a lot.

This movie really made me respect her not only as an artist, but even more as a woman. She came from a time when woman was strictly limited by "proper" social conventions. She didn't care for those limitations and went about her own ways. Most importantly, she was adamant about her own beliefs despite other's discouragements. She stayed true to herself, and maintained a DGAF attitude to the snooty, irrelevant criticisms. Somehow, Garbielle turned COCO just have the foresight of knowing what would be the best. Now look at her success now! With the signature double-C logo and the No 5 perfume, people would line up for hours just to buy her stuff. She built an empire, she established a brand, all while having a rather rough start, too! What I admire about her is her independence. She had a tenacity even when it comes to romance. Though she had a "love-of-her-life" she need no man *snap snap.* #girlpower

But in addition to the life lessons, I've got some fashion lessons from her as well!

I absolutely love Chanel quotes:

"You may have a date with destiny. That might be tonight, and you must be prepared to dress as pretty as possible."

That's something my mom had always repeated to me through out my life. And I completely agree! I guess my mom wasn't the only one who thought of it! Even though it's very superficial to think that if any opportunities--romance or career wise--do arise, one must be dressed nicely to welcome it. But they don't say "dress to impress" for nothing! For all you know, you could be running into the boss of your dream job on the street, and if you're dressed sloppily, they can automatically make a snap judgement, you wouldn't want that! so always be prepared!

"The poetry of fashion lies in the creation of illusion."

That cannot be more true! Even though she said that decades ago, it can still be applied today! For example, I am 5'8'', and if I want to maintain that tall illusion,  maxi dresses is my go-to solution.  Also, I don't have the straightest legs in the world. So to cover up this flaw, I try to wear things that falls below the knees, which looks a lot better than the shorter alternatives.

I even found a great example how popular fashion site, allwomenstalk, was able to pull together a few tricks to make shorter girls look taller! Those were all wonderful illusions!

"A woman can be overdressed but never over elegant."

Take Duchess Kate, for example, even though in the picture above, our beloved Kate is playing ping-pong and looking intense, I still think she looks pretty elegant. Why? She's a terrific dresser.


I think as duchess, she's already at he very top in terms of having elegance and social grace. Yet, whenever the world think she can't get any classier,  she probably can still amaze the world by pulling off something simple, but still looking classy and well, elegant! Here's one of my favorites:

kate middleton dress


This is a Jenny Packham teal dress our favorite princess wore to an Olympic gala. Her best accessory was simplicity and effortlessness.


However, drawing to the point Madame Chanel made, if one were to deliberately try to feign elegance with pearls, pastels, and tweed, or all kinds of accessories, without having consideration of the overall image, it might end up looking tacky and overdressed. There we have it, Chanel described a true and simple concept in a nut shell!


Lots of famous designers have the great potential to have as much influence as Chanel by creating breath-taking master pieces. But what distinguished Chanel from the rest of the fashion industry is her sharp wit, her tenacity, and an amazing talent.


Now that I've watched the movie, I have the urge to read the book as well!


I would definitely recommend this movie!


So what do you guys think of CoCo's beliefs or her life's accomplishments?! Please let  me know in the comment below. I'm very interested in hearing what you guys have to say :)


Xoxo,

Jo.



8 comments:

  1. I always loved how coco said wear your outfit that you planned and take off one piece haha simple and sophisticated (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo! that's a good one! another similar one's like have a bright color accessory can make any simple outfit pop (or sumthin like that :p)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of Coco Chanel's quotes was: "Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening."

    I really agree with this, maybe, because I don't really wear dresses, but inspiration is EVERYWHERE!

    Also, ahh I love Kate. She is SO CLASSY and always looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an inspiring quote!
    Like during the movie, when she was talking it was like meaningful quotes after meaningful quotes! haha. and i know! it's no wonder she's duchess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Coco Chanel. Everything about her is amazing. This is my fave quote from her: Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.

    Ah, give me the chills just reading it over again.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha yeah! that's the one that sarah said! she's so amazing! Like her quotes are just like...you can't think of them in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic post!!
    I think everybody loves Coco Chanel.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, thanks! I knoww!

    ReplyDelete