Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

What to wear to weddings

I don't know what is it about weddings, people are just obsessed. Three billion people watched THE Royal Wedding back in 2011 (that's half the world's population!), and who knows how many people watched the Kardashian Wedding. But, I guess there's just something special about a little ceremony that celebrates the love of two people who have agreed to be together forever. At least in the Kardashian case, that's what people thought they were watching. But that was down the drain in 72 days. Ok, I'll stop the bashing.

So, I've been following Chriselle for a while now. I really like her style. In honor of her wedding, she's been uploading these "Down the aisle with Chriselle" videos that lets the viewers get the inside scoop on all things her wedding! Today, she uploaded the finale, which is the actual wedding video. And she actually had this special event, which she made this "virtual" wedding very realistic, in which her followers are allowed to upload what we would wear to her wedding. If you go to my facebook page, you can see that she shared my outfit! Teehee! And this is why I was very inspired to write today's post. Also, my friend Cheryl will be attending her cousin's wedding, and she's been asking me for advice on what to wear. Therefore, I'm extra inspired!

blue lace dress with red belt

lacy blue dress

blue lace dress

red accessories










These photos are taken by the wonderful Caroline Sykes :)

Here's the look I planned on "wearing" for the virtual wedding. I've actually worn this to a wedding before, too! When I first saw this dress, I was instantly in love. I really like the very chic fabric, but the neckline and the cutting added a bit of elegance to it. I've recently learned this trick of accessorizing navy outfits with red accessories from my friend Jade. I'm really glad I learned this trick because it really brings a new light to the entire outfit! This dress is also very versatile. It can also be worn to other social events. It's rushing season, this could definitely be worn to a rush event. Or, just simply on a date!

Here's what Chriselle wrote:
"Love how ladylike, conservative, yet chic Joanne Zhu looks in her black lace dress with pops of red!!!! ♥ ♥ ♥"

I'm very honored to be mentioned :p

Here are more sets I've created that could be worn to different types of weddings.

Beach Weddings



Beach Weddings




Here in California, because we're so close to the water, beach weddings are so common! It's totally romantic. Having the cool breeze bringing the smell of ocean to the ceremony as the couple exchange their vows sounds like a beautiful, not-want-to-be-missed experience. Unfortunately, the messy sands may bring a bit of burden upon the wedding guests.


This outfit is a bit more casual than the usual wedding attire. But it's a beach wedding, everything should be relaxed and chill! I really like this blue dress with the tie-dyed looking white stripes. It rests somewhere between the casual, semi-formal range, but not casual enough to disrespect the about to be betrothed couple. The sand really limits the options for shoes. The wedges matches the outfit well, though! Plus, the heels is a great complement of the weave envelope bag (how cute is that?!) The coastal winds may be a bit chilly, so it's a great excuse to break out the scarf! I like how the contrast of the scarf is able to add that oh-so-important "pop" to the outfit. Lastly, sun protection is important! But that's not the only reason to wear the floppy hat and the aviators!



General Outdoor Weddings

Outdoor Wedding Guest


Outdoor Wedding Guest by joanneinazoo featuring turquoise jewelry

No matter how much people say it's okay, I'm very against guests wearing white to weddings. It's so disrespectful to the bride. It's her special day, let her be the only one wearing white! Remember that Friends episode where Monica asks if it's inappropriate to wear something white and lacy to a wedding because she wanted to get back her cousin for not inviting her, and everyone's like totally inappropriate! and Phoebe's like "I've got go do some shopping." Well, they're right! (Sorry, I sometimes subconsciously make Friends references.)


So what I like about this set is that the vibrant pastel colors are great for an outdoor wedding. The heart-shaped neckline dress are just very plain and simple, and the accessories can just add the cherry on top to both of the outfits. As you can see the accessories, bracelets/cuffs especially, contrasts the dress. I borrowed the philosophy from the red on navy, and applied it to these outfits. Again, I think they give the outfits that extra "pop."



Traditional Weddings



Traditional Wedding Guest



As you know I'm in a teal/tribal phase right now. When I came across the dress on the left, with the peacock feather-like patterns, I thought I'd add it to the set because the conservativeness and the material makes it wedding appropriate. Black and gold goes well.

I've also developed a new obsession with coral-colored clothes. Of the two, I definitely like the one on the right more. The original white embellishment decorates the dress well. To match with the belt, I added white accessories, but the gold details of the white accessories are very nice, too!

Hope these outfits helped, and that's my take on what to wear to different wedding scenarios.

Have a great weekend!

Joanne

6 comments:

  1. Omgosh that's so cool!! (:
    I have never been to a wedding so this post helped me! Thanks(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace :)

    Thanks for the support! Haha yay, glad I can be of help <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly never thought about different wedding outfits until I saw this! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl, you look so chic, I love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha, I kind of over-thinked. But it's good to be prepared, right?! :D

    ReplyDelete